The DAAD has announced applications for the 2022 Helmut-Schmitt Scholarship for International Students willing to pursue a fully-funded Masters degree in Germany.
The Helmut-Schmidt Scholarship is a fully-funded award which exempt successful candidates from tuition fees and provides a living stipend of €11,172 per year.
Additionally, Helmut-Schmidt scholarship provides accommodation, travel and health insurance costs for successful candidates throughout the period of the programme.
- Host Country: Germany
- Study Abroad: Study in Europe
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship
- Tuition waiver
- €11,172 Annual stpends + Research Grants
- Travel Allowances
- Application Opens: June 1, 2022
- Deadline: July 31, 2022
With the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme, the DAAD strives to contribute to promoting good governance and civil society structures in developing and emerging countries.
The Programme offers future leaders master’s courses in disciplines that are of special
relevance for the social, political, and economic development
The programme also prepares them in a practice-oriented course for responsible positions in or for their regions of origin and contributes to establishing economic and social forms that are democratically oriented and designed to overcome social inequalities
To be considered for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarship, you must:
- be a graduate in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics, and public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from Ukraine.
- be very well-qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor’s or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- be a young graduate with professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
- have already gained practical experience relevant for the programme (professional experience, internships, political/social commitment)
Applicants who already hold a master’s degree can only be considered in well-justified cases, if they can explain conclusively, why they would like to obtain another master’s degree. The following groups are not eligible:
- Applicants who obtained their most recent higher education degree more than six years before submitting their application
- Applicants who have resided in a country that is not included in the DAC list of developing and emerging countries for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- DAAD scholarship holders are exempt from paying tuition fees, in addition to the following other benefits;
- Scholarships (of currently € 931 per month) for master’s courses at German higher education institutions.
- Health insurance cover in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the respective developing countries
- A study and research grant
- Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
- Preceding German language course in Germany, lasting up to 6 months. Participation is mandatory.
- A sur place rate of € 500 per month is paid in the 4th semester (mandatory online semester in
the student’s country of origin or another developing country).
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Checklist form, signed with place and date indication
- DAAD application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ (please type your answers or make sure they are easy to read)
- A single letter of motivation
- A curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (please use the europass template) including exact information about your studies, and on practical experience
- Copies of your higher education degree certificates.
- Copy of your full set of transcript of records
- Written confirmation for any work experience, internship or professional experience.
- Recent language certificates (for English and/or German)
- Current written reference from your current employer or from a university lecturer if you are a student at present, on headed paper, signed, dated, and stamped
Method of Application
All applications must be submitted in English or German. Please refer to the call for applications for detailed application instructions. When applying for a placement, please indicate clearly that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance). You may apply for up to two courses of study from the list below.
- Please complete the DAAD application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ only once and indicate your selected master’s course or courses, in the latter case clearly indicating your first and second priority.
- If you are applying for two master’s courses: Please submit a single application for both master’s courses, and only one letter of motivation. In this letter, you should explain in detail, why you chose the respective master’s courses as well as your reasons for prioritising.
- Please submit the application form to the master’s courses of your choice (no more than two), along with the required documents (see below). Scholarship applications are only accepted via the master’s courses.
- The selection will be made by a selection committee in October/November 2022
- . All applicants are informed in writing after the end of the selection process. This will probably be the case in mid to late December 2022.